Python application launcher (for Python code)

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Tue Feb 21 15:11:49 EST 2017

Grant Edwards wrote, on February 21, 2017 11:21 AM

> On 2017-02-21, Rob Gaddi <rgaddi at highlandtechnology.invalid> wrote:
> > On 02/20/2017 06:16 PM, Deborah Swanson wrote:
> >
> > > [snip lots about using Windows but rather be
> > > using Linux but not wanting to have to spend lots of
> > > energy switching right now]
> >
> > You know, I'm always reluctant to recommend it, because it can
> > definitely get you tied in knots.  But you're about the
> ideal candidate
> > for looking into https://www.cygwin.com/
>
> There are other ways to get "shell and unix-utilities" for
> Windows that are less "drastic" than Cygwin: they don't try
> to provide a complete a Unix development environment or the
> illusion of Unix filesystem semantics.  [Remember: a Unix
> shell without a set of accompanying utilitys is pretty
> useless, since Unix shells don't have all of the "built-in"
> commands that Windows shells do.]
>
> NB: I haven't used any of these lately...

  http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
  http://www.mingw.org/      (look for msys)
  https://gist.github.com/evanwill/0207876c3243bbb6863e65ec5dc3f058
(git's bash-terminal)
  https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/

There were a couple another very highly recommended commercial Unix
shell+utilities products (MKS Toolkit, Interix) that I used to
use. But AFAIK, they all got bought and killed by Microsoft.

Thanks Grant for these suggestions. Microsoft may have killed them at
the time, but useful software can resurface a number of ways.  I'll keep
your list and go looking for them someday. I think something like
Drawers or MyLauncher that Jim mentioned would fit the bill for my
immediate use, but old Unix utilities sound kinda neat in themselves,
and well worth looking into in my free time. (haha, free time you say?
But seriously I'd like to check them out.)

Deborah