Python application launcher (for Python code)

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 14:21:14 EST 2017

On 2017-02-21, Rob Gaddi <rgaddi at highlandtechnology.invalid> wrote:
> On 02/20/2017 06:16 PM, Deborah Swanson wrote:
>
> > [snip lots about using Windows but rather be
> > using Linux but not wanting to have to spend lots of
> > energy switching right now]
>
> You know, I'm always reluctant to recommend it, because it can
> definitely get you tied in knots.  But you're about the ideal candidate
> for looking into https://www.cygwin.com/

There are other ways to get "shell and unix-utilities" for Windows
that are less "drastic" than Cygwin: they don't try to provide a
complete a Unix development environment or the illusion of Unix
filesystem semantics.  [Remember: a Unix shell without a set of
accompanying utilitys is pretty useless, since Unix shells don't have
all of the "built-in" commands that Windows shells do.]

NB: I haven't used any of these lately...

  http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
  http://www.mingw.org/      (look for msys)
  https://gist.github.com/evanwill/0207876c3243bbb6863e65ec5dc3f058  (git's bash-terminal)
  https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/

There were a couple another very highly recommended commercial Unix
shell+utilities products (MKS Toolkit, Interix) that I used to
use. But AFAIK, they all got bought and killed by Microsoft.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Please come home with
                                  at               me ... I have Tylenol!!