How to access installed scripts on Windows?

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 19:40:16 EST 2017

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 8:38 PM, ddbug <pavel.aronsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am very perplexed by inability to tell the Windows installer (bdist_wininst or pip) where to
> install scripts (or "entry points").
>
> By default (and I don't see other options) scripts go to
> %USERPROFILE%/Appdata/Roaming/Python/Scripts.

That's the scripts directory that's used by the --user setup in 2.7
and formerly in 3.x. Python 3.5+ uses the "PythonXY" subdirectory
instead, e.g. "%AppData%\Python\Python35\Scripts". Note that you
should use "%AppData%" for the user's roaming application data because
the directory is relocatable.

The --user setup is rarely used when installing packages. Typically
packages are installed in the main site-packages and Scripts
directories. The installer has an option to update PATH to include
this Scripts directory.

You can also develop using venv virtual environments. You can symlink
or shell-shortcut to the activation script of a virtual environment.

> the "py" launcher does not help to find scripts that are installed into that per-user location.

I dislike the idea of automatically searching script directories, but
there could be a command-line option for this.

> command line (aka "dos window") ?

The cmd shell is called the Command Prompt. It's a console application
used on NT versions of Windows (e.g. Windows XP to 10). Older systems
that extended DOS (e.g. Windows 98) used a DOS window and the classic
COMMAND.COM shell.