async serial port in Python.

John Pote johnpote at jptechnical.co.uk
Mon Dec 18 19:06:01 EST 2017

On 18/12/2017 23:20, Les Cargill wrote:

> What I'd like to do is set up *some* sort of method in Python to
> asynchronously use callbacks to receive characters from a serial port
> or 20 serial ports.
>
> If I have to hook an event loop or even spawn a thread - fine! but it
> needs to allow for making things event-driven. For lack of a better
> term, I'd like this to at least have "select()/epoll() semantics".
>
> And then I'd like to extend that to TCP and UDP ports.
>
> Is this even possible? I keep running into "not done yet"
> stuff on this front, but I'm not very up on Python. It may
> be ... what's the term ... ? ... un-Pythonic, and I would accept
> that as an explanation.
>

> And no, I do not have a pet distro or version of Python. Any is fine
> with me.
I've use Chris Liechti's pySerial very successfully several times on
Python 2.7 and earlier and just a test with 3.6. Easy enough to access
it from Python threads. I'm stuck with Windoze so have used COMx: port
access to both PC native serial port (I have old kit) and USB virtual
serial ports. No idea about xNix.