async serial port in Python.

Les Cargill lcargill99 at comcast.com
Mon Dec 18 18:20:16 EST 2017

What I'd like to do is set up *some* sort of method in Python to
asynchronously use callbacks to receive characters from a serial port
or 20 serial ports.

If I have to hook an event loop or even spawn a thread - fine! but it
needs to allow for making things event-driven. For lack of a better
term, I'd like this to at least have "select()/epoll() semantics".

And then I'd like to extend that to TCP and UDP ports.

Is this even possible? I keep running into "not done yet"
stuff on this front, but I'm not very up on Python. It may
be ... what's the term ... ? ... un-Pythonic, and I would accept
that as an explanation.

And no, I do not have a pet distro or version of Python. Any is fine
with me.

<mildly joking, but intended as collegially as humanly possible... >

The Brent Welch book for Tcl has a totally complete example of this
laid out in great detail. That's sooooo 15-20 years ago - try to catch
up, guys :)

<end>

--
Les Cargill