Python Learning

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Dec 18 16:52:34 EST 2017

On Monday 18 December 2017 16:05:10 Rob Gaddi wrote:

> On 12/18/2017 08:45 AM, Larry Martell wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net>
wrote:
> >> However, one great way to stand out is a portfolio of GitHub
> >> projects. Several people have gotten an offer largely based on
> >> those (after they aced the technical interviews). For example, we
> >> just hired someone who had written a game in sed. That doesn't make
> >> him an "interesting person," nor do we look for game or sed
> >> developers. But that silly exercise deeply resonated with our team.
> >> We expect to have great synergy with him.
> >
> > I have been excluded from even getting an interview because I did
> > not have a portfolio of GitHub projects. I think that is a bad
> > filter. I work 60-70 hours a week for pay, and I have a family and
> > personal interests.
>
> When I'm hiring I don't necessarily need a candidate to have an
> extensive open-source portfolio, but I need to see some kind of
> portfolio, just as a bar of "This is what I consider my good work to
> be."  The idea that someone is going to have years of experience, but
> not a single page of code that they can let me look over always
> strikes me as odd.

I've known Larry for years via another list. He has worked on a lot of
stuff in the financial arena, wrapped in non-disclosure clauses that
prevent him from even saying what color he dots the i's with, so he gets
work as much by word of mouth as other more conventional paths.

To not hire him because he doesn't have a big portfolio could be a
mistake, Rob. Its up to you.
> --
> Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology -- www.highlandtechnology.com
> Email address domain is currently out of order.  See above to fix.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)