Python Learning

Rob Gaddi rgaddi at highlandtechnology.invalid
Mon Dec 18 16:05:10 EST 2017

On 12/18/2017 08:45 AM, Larry Martell wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>> However, one great way to stand out is a portfolio of GitHub projects.
>> Several people have gotten an offer largely based on those (after they
>> aced the technical interviews). For example, we just hired someone who
>> had written a game in sed. That doesn't make him an "interesting
>> person," nor do we look for game or sed developers. But that silly
>> exercise deeply resonated with our team. We expect to have great synergy
>> with him.
>
> I have been excluded from even getting an interview because I did not
> have a portfolio of GitHub projects. I think that is a bad filter. I
> work 60-70 hours a week for pay, and I have a family and personal
> interests.

When I'm hiring I don't necessarily need a candidate to have an
extensive open-source portfolio, but I need to see some kind of
portfolio, just as a bar of "This is what I consider my good work to
be."  The idea that someone is going to have years of experience, but
not a single page of code that they can let me look over always strikes
me as odd.