Python Learning

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 23:17:18 EST 2017

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 3:09 PM, Bill <BILL_NOSPAM at noway.net> wrote:
> I tried pretty hard not to say that. I said they needed some "mathematical
> sophistication"--not actual mathematics.  My error was using that expression
> among an audience not so familiar with that terminology. That said, I think
> I would have a hard time explaining polymorphism and vtables to a student
> who had not grasped the distributive property of multiplication over
> addition.
> You can try, and let me know how it goes for you... I've been there.

I don't know about vtables as needing to be in ANY programming course.
They're part of a "let's dive into the internals of C++" course. You
certainly don't need them to understand how things work in Python,
because they don't exist; and I'm doubtful that you need to explain
them even to C++ programmers.

Polymorphism... actually, I could explain that to a three year old.

"Eat your broccoli"

"Eat your dessert"

See? Polymorphism. The same operation being done to different things
and having different results.

ChrisA