Please tell me how to execute python file in Ubuntu by double

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 07:44:04 EST 2017

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 10:53 PM, Rhodri James <rhodri at kynesim.co.uk> wrote:
> On 14/12/17 07:25, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>> So it's an imperfect solution even as far as it goes, and a highly
>> limiting way to do things. I'm sure it made good sense back when
>> MS-DOS file systems ruled the Windows world, and 8.3 was just the way
>> of things.
>

> Even then there was RiscOS, which divorced file names from file types
> entirely.  A file's type was part of its directory data, and that was what
> determined what happened when you double-clicked on it.  You were still
> limited to only one default application (and icon, and so on) per file type,
> so OS/2 still wins on that front, but I always felt that having names
> determine types was somehow mucky.

Having names as the *sole* way to determine types? I agree. But as one
of a suite of methods? It makes a decent default. There are plenty of
files out there whose names correctly match (a) their contents and (b)
what you want to do with them, so forcing people to ALSO choose a type
in some other way is redundant. But if a file can have an explicit
type or "no type specified", and in the latter case it uses a
filename-based mapping, that would be a slab of the functionality
right there.

ChrisA