Politeness (was: we want python software)

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 07:25:36 EST 2017

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 4:05:43 PM UTC+5:30, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 02:49 pm, Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> > You are assuming that the strangeness of the request is about 'tech'
> > [engineering/tech existed centuries before computers]
> >
> > Do remember one can be a tech-{student,professional} without
> > - ever having encountered free-software
> > - internet/USENET culture
> >
> > … from which pov the request would not look so odd
>
> So you're suggesting that rather than being unwilling to google for "Download
> Python" because he doesn't understand free software culture, the OP is
> unwilling to google for "Download Python" because he thinks it is proprietary
> software and wants a bunch of strangers on the Internet to send him a pirate
> copy?
>
> I'm not entirely sure that's better...

Dunno anything about OP so no 'suggesting'…
I did hint one point above which can be restated more explicitly.

An engineering degree (aka “B.Tech”) can be in any of
- IT, CS, Computer Engineering etc
- aeronautics, civil, electrical, mechanical… classical, non-computer related
- bioinformatics, statistics, "scientific computing" etc ie heavy-duty *users*
  of computers

For the latter two classes it would be normal/natural for the student to have
little knowledge/interest in computer-related stuff except as a user.

Are you interested in the latest disk-drive technology? power-supplies?
 kernel? systemd-vs-sysv?  We use these all the time. Likewise these other fields are *users* of computers.

Inter alia I will mention: I have a colleague working on ACM's next curriculum
And the inter-disciplinarity of CS is the next big deal it would appear.

ie "unwilling to google" could well be "ignorant of google (usage/practices)"
Do consider the possibility that a student could be a non-owner of a computer
and/or studying in a college in a poor/non networked location.

So…

So while the specific slurs/attacks on some country are of near-zero interest to me — to support or oppose — the deeper divisions and inequities are (IMHO) more important.

So here's a little statistical exercise for you:
- Take any demographic of your choice containing programmers.
- Compute the male/female programmers in that population
- Now come to this list and work out the same ratio
- How do these ratios compare?
[When's the last time a woman appeared here?]

IOW I would wish Ethan's "control yourself" to be imperated — preferably
by oneself, if not then forcibly.
And especially when the vitriol is flung at a first-time poster.