zlib OverflowError: 'size does not fit in an int'

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Mon Dec 4 19:25:54 EST 2017

On 05/12/17 01:15, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Trying to zip a large file is failing with OverflowError: 'size does
>> not fit in an int'. Googling I found this:
>>
>> https://bugs.python.org/issue23306
>>
>> and this:
>>
>> https://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/2192edcfea02
>>
>> which seems to make me think this was fixed this was fixed on Jul 23 2016.
>>
>> I am running CentOS 7 and I have python version:
>>
>> Python 2.7.5 (default, Sep 15 2016, 22:37:39)
>>
>> Which I guess does not have this fix. How can I get a version with
>> that fix (that doesn't break CentOS)
>
> First thing I'd consider is a Python 3.x version. Is there one in your
> CentOS repositories? If not, worst case, you can compile one from
> source or get one from some other repo, and it can't possibly break
> your system because it won't mess with anything you're using.

For CentOS, I recommend using either an SCL
(https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/rh-python36/) or
perhaps Anaconda.

Installing Python 3 with an SCL is nice because it's managed through
your package manager, but is completely independent of the system Python
(so it won't break anything). You have to enable it on a case-by-case
basis when you want to use it, which can be a bit finicky.