Exponential Smoothing program

Rob Gaddi rgaddi at highlandtechnology.invalid
Thu Aug 31 12:40:35 EDT 2017

On 08/31/2017 05:35 AM, Ode Idoko wrote:

> I am running a master degree programme and very new to programming including python. I have been given a project to write a python program on exponential smoothing of some selected stocks. The program should user the user to input alpha, display the graph of the original data and "smoothed data".
>
> On the same python program, I am to develop a linear regression model to predict the next period, showing correlation coefficients to indicate the strength of the model.
>
> I have been able to write a program which returns some values but no graph and also having difficulties with the linear regression.
>
> This is the program I wrote:
>
> def exponential_smoothing (a,y,f):
>      ans = (a*y) + (1-a) * f
>      return ans
>
> print ("Exponential_Smoothing Program")
> a = float(input("please enter a: "))
> y = float(input("please enter y: "))
> f = float(input("please enter f: "))
> ans = exponential_smoothing (a,y,f)
> print ("the answers are %.2f" %(ans))
>
> Could someone kindly help with tips on how to go about this?

It's time to introduce yourself to Python's data analysis toolkit.
Numpy, Scipy, Matplotlib and, if you're going to be doing stocks, Pandas.

There's a LOT there between them, it's a bit of a drink from the
firehose problem.  I like Wes McKinney's "Python for Data Analysis" book
and consider it a good investment if you need to get up to speed on this
stuff.