Exponential Smoothing program

Ode Idoko idokolord at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 31 08:35:21 EDT 2017

I am running a master degree programme and very new to programming including python. I have been given a project to write a python program on exponential smoothing of some selected stocks. The program should user the user to input alpha, display the graph of the original data and "smoothed data".

On the same python program, I am to develop a linear regression model to predict the next period, showing correlation coefficients to indicate the strength of the model.

I have been able to write a program which returns some values but no graph and also having difficulties with the linear regression.

This is the program I wrote:

def exponential_smoothing (a,y,f):
    ans = (a*y) + (1-a) * f
    return ans

print ("Exponential_Smoothing Program")
a = float(input("please enter a: "))
y = float(input("please enter y: "))
f = float(input("please enter f: "))
ans = exponential_smoothing (a,y,f)
print ("the answers are %.2f" %(ans))

Could someone kindly help with tips on how to go about this?

Thanks.

Ode A. IDOKO

... writer, author and consultant

idokolord at yahoo.com
+2347064334855
Author of:
"Putting Your Talent to Work"
Click link below to view book.

http://www.authorhouse.co.uk/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000425821

 ...let God alone be true and all men liars!