Reading the documentation

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 22:22:44 EDT 2017

Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> Rustom Mody wrote:
> > Ian wrote:
> > > There should be a corollary of Godwin's law for that
> > > idiot.
> [...]
> > [Larry seems to be angry about/at somethin'… No idea who/what…]
>
> Chomsky challenges the prevailing world-view that the USA
> is a force for good, by documenting the many, many, many
> ways that the USA's actions are harmful, unjust, illegal
> (occasionally all three at once) and in contradiction to
> the nation's stated values. Many people don't like it when
> you challenge their cherished myths.

Nor when you glorify their most hated enemy.

Chomsky may be under the impression that heroes are without
flaw, however, many of us do not share such naive beliefs,
As any random historian of "super-hero comic book lore" can
testify, heroes are deeply flawed.

So jump on Chomsky's "Let's all bash America" bandwagon if
you must, but please do remember: that the short history of
America has presented a social transformation the likes of
which this world has never seen. So instead of wasting
energy complaining about past events that cannot be changed,
you and Chomsky, should spend your "energy capital"
convincing people that there is a better way.

And calling people names or engaging in endless emotional
battles is never going to work. Yes, the history of America
has been a dark history of many horrors, but it has also
been, at moments, a bright light illuminating the world with
the ideals of liberty. At some point we must realize that
progress cannot _proceed_ until we bury the hatchet.

And that's why Daryl Davis is one of my personal heroes!

Daryl Davis is the perfect example of a man who is fighting
against the ills of our society in the "right way", by
winning hearts and minds. You should learn about this great
man and watch his documentary titled "Accidental Courtesy:
Daryl Davis, Race & America" -- which you can find on the
American PBS website, or in the following links.

The Man:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Davis

The Documentary:

    http://accidentalcourtesy.com/