Proposed new syntax

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Tue Aug 22 05:41:21 EDT 2017

Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid>:
> As you mention, Russell was the one who recognized the inconsistency
> in Frege's system, though I don't know how Frege took it at a personal
> level.

I read (can't remember where) that Frege was just finishing his third
and final volume when Russell's paradox was brought to his attention.
Frege was devastated, as he had spent a large part of his life on this
extensive treatise of mathematics. It turned out, though, Frege's
mistakes were fixable.

BTW, the main take of the metamathematical "fiasco" was that you can't
get rid of the meta-level. There's no consistent logical system that is
closed and encompasses everything including itself. You will always have
to step outside your formal system and resort to hand-waving in a
natural language.

Marko