Proposed new syntax

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Tue Aug 22 02:28:54 EDT 2017

Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> writes:
> Do you mean Frege or Cantor?

Frege.  Cantor was concerned with set theory, while Frege was concerned
with logic in general.  Frege's notation was different from what we use
now but the issue was about the same: unrestricted comprehension led to
contradiction.  As you mention, Russell was the one who recognized the
inconsistency in Frege's system, though I don't know how Frege took it
at a personal level.

Many of the original writings from that era are reproduced in the book
"From Frege to Gӧdel: A Source Book in Mathematical Logic".  It has good
introductions to the papers and is pretty interesting.