Default .py program and Edit with IDLE problem

alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Sat Aug 19 13:15:06 EDT 2017

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 01:56:14 +1000, Steve D'Aprano wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 12:11 am, Rick Johnson wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 5:39:19 AM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>> I'm not sure how "refuse to guess" translates into "wipe it out and
>>> start over". I *never* recommend uninstall/reinstall as a first
>>> measure. It's a stupid idea unless you actually know that it's going
>>> to help.
>>
>> No, what's stupid is spending hours running down non-issues because
>> you'd rather take random guesses than choose the easy, practical
>> solution.
>
> Assuming that it is the solution, which it often isn't.
>
> Just in recent months, there have been a spate of posts from people with
> problems on Windows, invariably ending with some plaintive cry of:
>
> "I've uninstalled and reinstalled again and again and it didn't help!"
>
> I must admit I don't remember the solution because, not being a Windows
> guy I didn't care that much, but if you care you can search the
> archives.

I think to a point I have to agree with rick, windows installers can be
flaky and time is money.

if something does not work after installation (& does not gibe any clues
as to why) a quick install (reboot) & re install is work a try & probably
has a 25-50% success rate.

however you are also correct in that if this does not work there is
nothing to be gained by repeating the process & further investigation as
to what is causing the issue is needed. one approach I have found useful
in the past is to try to start the program (what ever it is) from the
command line - something that windows users have all but forgotten
exists.

--
The trouble is that things *never* get better, they just stay the same,
only more so.