Default .py program and Edit with IDLE problem

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 13:13:40 EDT 2017

Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> Rick Johnson wrote:
> > Chris Angelico wrote:
> > > I'm not sure how "refuse to guess" translates into "wipe
> > > it out and start over". I *never* recommend
> > > uninstall/reinstall as a first measure. It's a stupid
> > > idea unless you actually know that it's going to help.
> >
> > No, what's stupid is spending hours running down non-
> > issues because you'd rather take random guesses than
> > choose the easy, practical solution.
>
> Assuming that it is the solution, which it often isn't.
> Just in recent months, there have been a spate of posts
> from people with problems on Windows, invariably ending
> with some plaintive cry of:  "I've uninstalled and
> reinstalled again and again and it didn't help!"

And remind me again, what's the definition of insanity? ;-)

> I must admit I don't remember the solution because, not
> being a Windows guy I didn't care that much, but if you
> care you can search the archives.

My solution for a Python3 that won't install would be to
revert back to the Python2.x line. Like HTML tables, older
features can be less buggy and suffer less compatibility
issues in the wild (at least for a time). Being that Python3
is still cutting its teeth in the middle of constant churn,
i await Python4. And i sure hope Python4 will be a little
more stable. I think too many features have been added too
quickly. For instance, the type-hints thing is a major shift
from the founding philosophy, and one of my greatest pet
peeves.