Default .py program and Edit with IDLE problem

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 05:43:43 EDT 2017

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 4:55:17 PM UTC-5, Kevi Aday (Katch22) wrote:
> I installed python 3.6.2 for making running and editing
> programs. Later on I installed python 2.7 because a program
> that I downloaded only works with that. Later I deleted the
> program. I then wanted to run a program from cmd but it was
> giving me all kinds of errors

What kind of errors? You should have copy/pasted the
exception messages here.

> I thought the problem was being caused by python 2.7 and I
> didn’t even need it anymore so I uninstalled it. After I
> uninstalled it, all my .py files’ icons disappeared and
> when I right clicked on it the “Edit with IDLE”
> disappeared. I tried all kinds of things like repairing
> python,

Don't waste your time with that stupid "repair option". What
does an uninstall and reinstall process take these days...
all of two minutes?

> editing the registry, etc.

Oh boy... The first rule of troubleshooting is always to
apply the simplist fix first, then start walking up the
"staircase of complexity" until you find a solution.
Something specific and esoteric as editing the registry is
very near the top of the staircase. In this case, the "easy
fix" is a quick and painless uninstall+reinstall. One of the
core philosophical principals of Python is: "In the face of
ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess", and while
uninstall+reinstall may indeed seem like a drastic measure,
it is the most practical solution for this kind of problem.

> but I just can’t fix the problem and this has never
> happened to me and its really bugging me. Please help.

(1) Uninstall all versions of Python on your machine.

(2) Install Python 3, and be sure to check the box that says
(I'm paraphrasing here): "Make this my default installation"

All better now?

-- rr
>>> import this # The path to enlightenment begins here...