Default .py program and Edit with IDLE problem

dieter dieter at handshake.de
Thu Aug 17 01:39:02 EDT 2017

"Kevi Aday (Katch22)" <kevaday123 at gmail.com> writes:
> I installed python 3.6.2 for making running and editing programs. Later on I installed python 2.7
> because a program that I downloaded only works with that. Later I deleted the program. I then wanted to run a
> program from cmd but it was giving me all kinds of errors I didn’t used to get. I thought the
> problem was being caused by python 2.7 and I didn’t even need it anymore so I uninstalled it.
> After I uninstalled it, all my .py files’ icons disappeared and when I right clicked on it the “Edit with IDLE” disappeared.
> I tried all kinds of things like repairing python, editing the registry, etc. but I just can’t fix the problem and this
> has never happened to me and its really bugging me. Please help.

This is obviously a Windows problem.

I am no Windows expert but I think this is what happens:
both Python 3 as well as Python 2 are using the same Windows configuration
resources (i.e. the same resource names) (at least partially).
Then, it becomes problematic to install both Python 3 as well as Python 2
in the same Windows system as one version overrides (some of) the other's
configuration resources. When you uninstall Python, it likely
tries to clean up the Windows configuration - and it is apparently not prepared
for the case that is has (partially) overridden another Python version.

As a next step, I would try to uninstall and then install again
Python 3.