numpy not working any more

Poul Riis priisdk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 03:55:59 EDT 2017

For some time I have been using python 3.6.0 on a windows computer.
Suddenly, my numpy does not work any more.
This one-liner program:
import numpy as np
results in the long error message below.
In an effort to solve the problem I tried to install python 3.6.2 followed by all the modules I need. Here, there was no problem with numpy but then another problem appeared: Installing mayavi apparently needs vtk but pip couldn't find an acceptable vtk version.

What is the easiest way to make things work again?

Poul Riis

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\pr\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\__init__.py", line 16, in <module>
    from . import multiarray
ImportError: DLL load failed: Den angivne procedure blev ikke fundet.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/pr/python/numpy_test.py", line 1, in <module>
    import numpy as np
  File "C:\Users\pr\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\numpy\__init__.py", line 142, in <module>
    from . import add_newdocs
  File "C:\Users\pr\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\numpy\add_newdocs.py", line 13, in <module>
    from numpy.lib import add_newdoc
  File "C:\Users\pr\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
    from .type_check import *
  File "C:\Users\pr\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\type_check.py", line 11, in <module>
    import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
  File "C:\Users\pr\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\__init__.py", line 26, in <module>
    raise ImportError(msg)
ImportError:
Importing the multiarray numpy extension module failed.  Most
likely you are trying to import a failed build of numpy.
If you're working with a numpy git repo, try `git clean -xdf` (removes all
files not under version control).  Otherwise reinstall numpy.

Original error was: DLL load failed: Den angivne procedure blev ikke fundet.