Bigotry (you win, I give up)

Rurpy rurpy at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 21:34:05 EDT 2017

On 04/20/2017 01:46 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
>[...]
> I am not obliged to address every point of every post, and the absence
> of comment on any particular point is not generally to be read as full
> assent.

Certainly anyone is free to choose to ignore bigotry on the list,
because one agrees with it, or does not want to oppose the poster,
or any other reason; that is a perfectly valid individual decision.

But that does not apply to an entire community.  When members of the
community en masse react that way, and a few even laud the bigotry,
and still no protest, that is a condemnation of a community's ethics
and pretty indisputable proof the CoC is a tool, to be dragged out
when convenient to repress unpopular opinion or posters and ignored
when it interferes with propagating the popular view.

>>   "if you are going to have a CoC, it must be applied even-handedly."
>
> I agree entirely with that.

Sadly, agreement is meaningless if ignored in practice.