Bigotry and hate speech on the python mailing list

Rurpy rurpy at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 12:03:51 EDT 2017

On 04/18/2017 04:34 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 8:28 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> The charge has been examined and dropped. Steven did not violate the
>>> CoC. Please stop talking as if he has. He *was accused of* violating
>>> it, and then found innocent.
>>
>> Which post are you referring to (can you provide a URL)? I'd like to see
>> who came to that conclusion, what their wording was, and what their
>> authority was to do so.
>
> I was referring to your post, in which a fairly solid argument was
> made for there being no guilt. Maybe you don't have any specific
> authority, but until someone actually acts in a moderatorial role,
> solid arguments are plenty authoritative enough for most of us.
> Particularly for the newsgroup people, where there is no central
> authority at all.

Perhaps you missed this rebuttal to Mr. Finney's "solid" argument?

  https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2017-April/721281.html

Perhaps you also failed to notice that neither Mr. Finney nor you
chose to dispute that rebuttal?

  Denial: a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable
  to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true
  despite what may be overwhelming evidence. [*2]

Not saying I presented /overwhelming/ evidence but to simply wave it
away and pretend it doesn't exist?  To simply declare, we prevailed?

Mr, Finney made *one* argument: that comparing someone's behavior
to the ugly american stereotype is not bigotry because a stereotype
represents only people that exhibit the same deservedly criticizable
behavior.  I showed that was faulty in multiple ways.  In your
own  words: "go read it."

I get your acceptance of the ugly american stereotype.  After all,
we all have prejudices (liberals too [*2]) so it's understandable in
these post-Trump times that we might be blind to our own prejudice
when it comes to America bashing or closely related Trump bashing,
especially when surrounded by like-minded people.

But when someone attacks a poster's opinion, that some recent
additions to Python might be a detriment to readability, by
suggesting he is too old to understand them, with no consideration
of any other explanations?!

That's no different than disagreeing with someone who says drug
jail sentences are too long, with: you sound like one of those black
drug-dealers.  And you both think that's ok?!  I'm aghast.

Go right ahead and judge yourself and Steven within the CoC.  I
don't accept that "judgment" any more than I accept former Alabama
Governor George Wallace's defense of segregation.

----
[*1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial
[*2] https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/releases/politics-and-prejudice-insights-from-psychological-science.html