Bigotry and hate speech on the python mailing list

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Apr 17 20:48:07 EDT 2017

On 04/17/2017 03:23 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Paul Rubin writes:
>> Rurpy writes:

>>> A couple weeks ago a frequent poster here (Steve D'Aprano)
>>> called another participant an "ugly american"
>>
>> Oh stop trolling.
>
> Paul, that is uncalled for. The charge of bigotry is not to be lightly
> dismissed, and we do want to foster an environment here where people
> will feel welcome.

You mean all the non-religious people?

Because some of your signatures don't feel welcoming to people of faith:

  \         “I think Western civilization is more enlightened precisely |
   `\     because we have learned how to ignore our religious leaders.” |
_o__)                                                —Bill Maher, 2003 |

  \       “Science shows that belief in God is not only obsolete. It is |
   `\                        also incoherent.” —Victor J. Stenger, 2001 |

  \       ?Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a |
   `\    religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish.? |
_o__)                                                       ?Anonymous |

  \           ?Prayer must never be answered: if it is, it ceases to be |
   `\   prayer and becomes correspondence.? ?Oscar Wilde, _The Epigrams |
_o__)                                            of Oscar Wilde_, 1952 |

>> Steven, please try to be a little more attentive to people's delicate
>> feefees in the future. Rurpy, should that take care of it?
>
> No, that doesn't do it. Taking care of people's feelings is an essential
> part of keeping a community healthy and welcoming, and your belittling
> does not help with that.

Neither do (a subset of) your signatures, yet you refuse to filter them out:

[from previous email]
> So I will continue to treat all those topics equally: peripheral
> comments on beliefs are just part of respectful human discourse, so long
> as I'm respectful of the people who may hold such beliefs.

So you're okay with respectfully making people of faith feel unwelcome?

--
~Ethan~