Python and the need for speed

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Thu Apr 13 09:20:44 EDT 2017

Steve D'Aprano <steve+python at pearwood.info>:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 07:00 pm, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>> Thing is, the moment you start thrashing, the game is over.
>
> Indeed. But swapping != thrashing.
>
> For what it's worth, three of the five sys admins I work with prefer
> not to use swap space on the Linux desktops they build. I'm not sure
> what their opinion is about servers. I *think* they would be okay with
> it if the server was using SSD rather than spinning metal.

Not sure if this is still valid:

   Still today Flash RAM cells built in SSDs have a limited lifespan.
   Every write (not read) cycle or better every erasure wears a memory
   cell and at some time it will stop working.

I really don't see much point with swap space nowadays, anyway.
Especially as it comes to production servers, you should reserve enough
RAM for worst-case needs. And make sure you really need that much RAM;
you probably don't.

Marko