Python and the need for speed

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Thu Apr 13 08:50:47 EDT 2017

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 07:00 pm, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>:
>
>> Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>>> As swapping is no longer considered normal on modern computers,
>>
>> It isn't? When did that happen?
>
> Thing is, the moment you start thrashing, the game is over.

Indeed. But swapping != thrashing.

For what it's worth, three of the five sys admins I work with prefer not to
use swap space on the Linux desktops they build. I'm not sure what their
opinion is about servers. I *think* they would be okay with it if the
server was using SSD rather than spinning metal.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.