Inclusion of of python and python libraries licensed with BSD- 3 clause license in proprietary software

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 16:53:29 EDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 6:35 AM, Abhishek Kumar
<abhishek.physics01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried finding the answer but even the lawyers  in my town have no idea about it and searching the web leaved me puzzled.
> I am planning to make a software in python which will include libraries  licensed under BSD- 3 clause. Can I sell this software  under proprietary  license and legally inhibit redistribution by users under my own license.
> Also if you know anyone who holds knowledge in this field then please do let me know..
> Your response will be really helpful.

Firstly, if you're simply writing a Python program, the license terms
of the Python interpreter don't matter. Your code is completely
independent, and you can closed-source it while still running it under
Python itself. Similarly, if all you're doing with those BSD-licensed
libraries is importing them, there's no problem there.

Things become a bit more complicated if you're *distributing* the
overall package - if you're creating a single installer that installs
Python, these third-party libraries, and your proprietary software. If
that bothers you, the easiest way is to simply provide installation
instructions that say "install Python from python.org yada yada", or
check with a lawyer about exactly how you're packaging everything up.

But mainly, you don't have to worry too much about the license terms
of the language interpreter, because you can run your code on a
different interpreter perfectly easily.

ChrisA