Python and the need for speed

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Tue Apr 11 12:50:12 EDT 2017

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 12:20 am, breamoreboy at gmail.com wrote:

> So we should be welcoming back the RUE who I see is still spewing his
> bile?

The only one I see "spewing bile" is you.

wxjmfauth's ignorant, stupid opinions about Python's handling of Unicode are
just silly. Why are you taking it so personally? There's no need to invent
a sarcastic name for him, or to falsely accuse him of "spewing bile", or to
keep going on and on and on about him every time he pops his head up.

> You can be pedantic about what is a newsgroup, or mailing list, or
> whatever, but to me they're one and the same thing.

Like wxjmfauth, we're all entitled to hold whatever ignorant and silly
opinions we like, there's no law against it. (Acting on, or expressing,
those opinions may be treated differently.)

But the fact is that the mailing list and newsgroup are NOT one and the same
thing, and never will be. This is a true fact, not a false fact. They
cannot be the same thing: they use different technologies, with different
organising principles, and are controlled by different people. The mailing
list is controlled by the PSF; the newsgroup is not.

(It's arguable whether *anyone* controls the newsgroup, except in the sense
that individual system administrators on individual News servers have some
power over what passes through their own server. But that's it.)

http://www.ou.edu/research/electron/internet/use-faq.htm

I don't know why you're so uptight over jmf, but like it or not, there's
nothing you can do to keep him of Usenet. Deal with it.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.