Which directory should requests and openpyxl modules be installed to?

Nathan Ernst nathan.ernst at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 17:27:32 EDT 2017

Hi Pauline,

It depends largely on whether you want to (and have sufficient permissions)
to install for all users or just yourself.

If, on *nix, you're installing site-wide (for all users), typically you'd
do: "sudo pip install <module>" (for python 2) or "sudo pip3 install
<module>" (for python 3).  If you're installing it for yourself, you may
need to add the --prefix=<dir> option. Typically, <dir> would be somewhere
under your home directory. This can be problematic, as you may need to edit
the PYTHONPATH (and possibly LD_LIBRARY_PATH) to point to appropriate
directories. In this case, you're probably better of setting up a virtual
environment. See:
http://python-guide-pt-br.readthedocs.io/en/latest/dev/virtualenvs/. With
virtualenvs, you can setup a per user/project python configuration.

If you're on Windows, you should be able to "py pip install <module>", and
that will install it for you. If you run under and adminstrator cmd prompt
& python has been installed for all users, I *think* the module will be
available for everyone.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Nate