Text-mode apps (Was :Who are the "spacists"?)

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Apr 2 13:30:44 EDT 2017

On Sunday 02 April 2017 12:26:40 Steve D'Aprano wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 04:41 pm, Terry Reedy wrote:
> > On 4/1/2017 12:00 PM, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> >> example of the Ugly American.
> >
> > As an American I resent your promotion and perpetuation of an ugly
> > ethno-centric stereotype.
>
> I'm glad you didn't try to describe it as a *unfair* or *unjustified*
> stereotype, because (let's face it) after November 8th 2016, that
> simply wouldn't fly.

While I too detest that label, I will have to admit that I am one of the
conservatives, believing our Constitution and Bill of Rights have been
used as TP by the "establishment" over the last 65+ years, who enabled
that surprise.

Wash., DC has been turned into a polluted swamp that needed drained and
cleaned up, and the Donald was the only one that wasn't part of the same
old, same old, bull crap establishment, and with enough money to run.

However, I'll be the first to admit I am less than impressed with his
efforts vis-a-vis global warming. He, I suspect, will be a 1 term
president unless he starts listening to the technical people's warnings.

I'd also make the prediction that the 2020 winner will _not_ be from the
establishment. Maybe not even from the two party system. I am hoping
that this will cause all (surviving) parties to do some navel gazing,
and contemplating not how to enrich the constituent businesses they own
under the table, but maybe, actually work for the common good. Taking
money completely out of the equation would be one way, but you could
hear the gored oxen that would wound fatally clear out to Pluto, without
a radio.

Human avarice being what it is, whether I'll live long enough to see that
happen isn't up to me. At 82, it doesn't look like near as big a chance
as it did when I was 60.

> Not all Americans, perhaps not even a majority or a plurality, are
> Ugly Americans, but there are enough of them to screw it up for
> everyone else.

Generally, I try to stay out of the Ugly camp. Then I look in the mirror
and know its hopeless. :(

[...]

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)