how to automate java application in window using python

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Sun Sep 18 07:02:46 EDT 2016

Am 18.09.16 um 12:26 schrieb Lawrence D’Oliveiro:
> On Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 10:13:41 PM UTC+12, Christian
> Gollwitzer wrote:
>>
>> Am 18.09.16 um 12:03 schrieb Lawrence D’Oliveiro:
>>
>>> Like I said, trying to automate a GUI is a waste of time. GUIs
>>> are designed for humans, not computers, to use.
>>
>> You don't always have a choice. Consider batch-processing a number
>> of images (say, 30,000 movie frames) using a proprietary effect
>> filter which works on single images only. It might be easier to
>> drive the GUI than to recreate the commercial algorithm.
>
> Considering the power available in Free Software toolkits like
> ImageMagick, G’MIC and so on, not to mention libraries accessible
> from Python itself, let me suggest that such proprietary software
> simply isn’t worth bothering with any more.

I was expecting that argument. Free software gives you a lot in this
area, but there are commercial signal processing programs with unmatched
quality. Examples:

https://ni.neatvideo.com/
  or for audio
http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/what-is-melodyne

Their business model relies on (nontrivial) secret algorithms. Even if
the algorithm is published it might be too tedious to reimplement it
from the scientific paper because it takes months of work or resources
you don't have; for instance, this algorithm

http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/projects/scene-completion/scene-completion.pdf

requires you to have millions of stock photo images, which you are
allowed to use. If you are flickr, getty or Google, you have no problem.
Otherwise it will be hard.

>> I agree with you that it is a shaky solution, but that doesn't make
>> it impossible.
>
> Is it really something you want to entrust mission-critical business
> functions to?

As always, it depends. I wouldn't rest my money on a bank account which
is managed by driving Excel via Sikuli. OTOH, I wouldn't want to spend
years of work to recreate NeatImage to denoise the photos of my last
holiday trip. Here, driving the GUI is fine.

	Christian