What is the correct form for saying "licensed under the same terms as Python itself"?

Brendan Abel 007brendan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 14:57:08 EDT 2016

Unless you're actually distributing python (as in, the interpreter or it's
source code), you don't need to include the python license or the copyright
notice.  You also don't need a Contributor agreement just to distribute a
python library.  That is more for people who are contributing to core
Python or if your package is being added to the standard library.

Python has a custom license, though it is GPL-compatible.  The python
license has a lot of wording that is specific to python and the PSF, so it
probably doesn't make sense for you to use their license.  Also, according
to the python web site, they only accept contributions under the following
licenses:

   - Academic Free License v. 2.1
   <http://www.samurajdata.se/opensource/mirror/licenses/afl-2.1.php>
   - Apache License, Version 2.0
   <http://opensource.org/licenses/apache2.0.php>

https://www.python.org/psf/contrib/

So, if you want your code to be available to the Python team (which is what
it sounds like), you should use one of those 2 licenses, or consider using
an even more permissive license (like the MIT license) that would not
prohibit your project from being relicensed under the Apache or Python
license.