Mysterious Logging Handlers

Josh English Joshua.R.English at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 12:08:14 EDT 2016

On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 11:29:32 AM UTC-7, John Gordon wrote:
> In <247db0ab-efe7-484b-a418-dd219f68a8e5 at googlegroups.com> Josh English <J--h at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > When I run the scriptI get logging information from only xlreader, not
> > from the main script:
>
> > DEBUG:XLREADER:Creating Excel Reader
>
> > This format isn't defined anywhere.
>
> That is the default logging format; it's used when you haven't supplied any
> format of your own.  The snippet of xlreader.py does not define any format,
> so it seems like that's where it's coming from.
>
> (This seems pretty straightforward; am I missing something?)

Strange. I don't see that in the docs anywhere. I figure if basicConfig can set the level, it can set the formatting, too, for all my loggers, not just one.

I suspect my IDE was interfering somehow. I'm using Sypder with WinPython Portable and when I changed my run settings to run in a new dedicated console, logging worked an expected.

Josh