Python source repo

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Sep 11 17:19:08 EDT 2016

On 9/10/2016 11:27 AM, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 01:04 am, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> I ran hg fetch to update the CPython repo.

I use pull (to local repository) and update (working directory)
separately in the following script (pull.bat), based on either the
devguide or what TortoiseHg uses.  /35 and /27 are shares.

hg --repository .\36 pull --verbose --config ui.merge=internal:merge
ssh://hg@hg.python.org/cpython
hg --repository .\36 update --verbose
hg --repository .\35 update --verbose
hg --repository .\27 update --verbose

>> It has been stuck on "adding changesets" for half an hour.

I have run the above (or earlier versions) perhaps 100s of times and
cannot remember anything like that.  The pull output just now is

pulling from ssh://hg@hg.python.org/cpython
searching for changes
all local heads known remotely
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
added 70 changesets with 185 changes to 126 files

'adding changesets' is very quickly (.1 second?, or less?) followed by
'adding manifests' and 'adding file changes'.  Even a full second delay
after 'adding changesets' would be unusual.  The most substantial  delay
is the download time before the last line is printed.  Total time: about
5 seconds, normal for this many pulls.

>> I don't know if that's because the process has locked up,

Something is definitely 'locked up'.

> Never mind. I got bored and frustrated and Ctrl-C'ed the process and ran it
> again. This time it took about 15 seconds to complete.

For me, even less for the changes above.

--
Terry Jan Reedy