sphinx (or other means to document python)

chitturk at uah.edu chitturk at uah.edu
Sun Sep 11 16:56:19 EDT 2016

Excuse me for being frustrated (!) (with documenting python with Sphinx)

I have a source file myfile.py which contains
documentation with "docstrings"

I am trying to have Sphinx create the pdf (from latex)

I have run through sphinx-quickstart - which creates
build, source (there is some conf.py somewhere also)

1) myfile.py (should be in source?)
2) Do I need any additional programs to read docstrings and conv them to latex/pdf? (I recall answering "yes" to some question during sphinx-quickinstall)
3) Do I have to have an index.rst AND myfile.py?
4) Can I have ONE file that has my code AND documentation?  (like what noweb allows me to do)
5) I have tried several times - but \f[ or \f$ does not work to embed TeX/LaTeX

pycco seems far, far, far simpler - but the output is html
noweb is great - except not very easy to embed comments in *.py and extract them

Bottom line

Is there a COMPLETE (I mean COMPLETE) example I can read about using sphinx?

That complete example should have

source, build, conf.py, etc etc - some user written code, some index.rst, etc etc etc

and the latex/pdf (or html) should build with "make html" or "make latex"

thanks!

(I KNOW it is NOT that difficult - but for the life of me, I cannot figure sphinx - in part because it seems to need several files, several changes/configurations - and simply having a *.py with doctrings does not seem to be sufficient)