What you can do about legalese nonsense on email

jmp jeanmichel at sequans.com
Fri Sep 9 08:50:05 EDT 2016

On 09/08/2016 10:52 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Joaquin Alzola <Joaquin.Alzola at lebara.com> writes:
>
>> <Do you realize how stupid it is to put this on a message sent all around the world?
>>
>> Cannot do anything.
>
> That's not true; you can do more than we.
>
>> Added by the MTA of the company not by my client.
>
> Right. So, here are things you can do (that we cannot) about this:
>
> * Complain, with reasoned explanation, to the management responsible for
>    deciding whether that nonsense continues to be added to every message.
>
>    If they haven't heard the complaint before, they will no longer have
>    that excuse. If they have heard the complaint before, yours will add
>    to the weight of evidence that this is not wanted.
>
> * Switch to a different mail service, one which does not add that
>    nonsense to your email.
>
>    Yes, this is inconvenient for you. But it's impossible for us to do on
>    your behalf, so you are in a position of more power than us.
>
> * Complain again to the management responsible for the ongoing decision
>    to place nonsense on your email, that you have been forced to use a
>    different mail system in order not to appear contemptuous of the
>    communities in which you participate.
>
>    If you are participating for reasons of benefit to the organisation,
>    point out that their ongoing decision is making that more difficult
>    for their employees.
>
> These are all powers you have; please don't feel that you can do
> nothing.

I've been there, I feel the pain of both sides.
Complaining won't do much, companies are not democracies, people are
right because their title says so, not because they actually are.

I personally had to switch to a usenet client instead of a mail client
(I think so). I'm using thunderbird for that purpose configured with
news.gmane.org

The good news is that you don't need yet another fake email address.

jm