What you can do about legalese nonsense on email (was: How to split value where is comma ?)

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 9 06:33:40 EDT 2016

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 04:59 pm, Rustom Mody wrote:

> On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 2:37:48 AM UTC+5:30, Ben Finney wrote:
>> Joaquin Alzola writes:
>> > Added by the MTA of the company not by my client.
>>
>> Right. So, here are things you can do (that we cannot) about this:
>> * Switch to a different mail service, one which does not add that
>>   nonsense to your email.
>
> Here is a recent action of google that has received at the moment 337,048
> petitions:
> https://www.change.org/p/google-inc-google-put-palestine-on-your-maps
>
> Do you believe that Google is more ethical than Lebara?

Hell no!

http://img0.joyreactor.com/pics/post/comics-google-facebook-245504.jpeg

But in this specific case, Google is not entirely in the wrong re Palestine.
It *is* a disputed area, and Google cannot satisfy everyone no matter what
they do.

If you search for "Palestine" in Google Maps, you get a map which (at least
in Australia) clearly shows the West Bank and Gaza Strip as disputed
territories:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Palestine/

More here:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/10/google-maps-accused-remove-palestine

http://opennews.kzhu.io/map-disputes/?_ga=1.48243875.420098949.1397702661

> Ok you didn't suggest to use gmail (ie google) specifically
>
> So what do you suggest to people (like myself) who’s primary email is
> gmail and are incensed with such actions??

Whatever you do, don't use Yahoo Mail or AOL unless there is *absolutely* no
other alternative. They are actively hostile to mailing lists and even
worse for good email practice than Gmail.

I don't know about others, but most ISPs in Australia offer at least one
email address per customer. So although there aren't many *great*
alternatives to Gmail, there are some good and so-so alternatives:

* run your own mail server (easy enough that I can do it)
* your work or school email
* your ISP email
* Outlook.Com (Hotmail)

--