Solid Approach For Creating A Desktop Application

Mark Summerfield list at qtrac.plus.com
Mon Oct 10 03:08:25 EDT 2016

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 5:53:37 AM UTC+1, Mahan Marwat wrote:
> I want to know what will be your approach creating a solid/reliable application in Python?
> i.e
> 1. Which GUI framework will you use i.e PyQT or what? (will you make it work removing the window default border)
> 2. What will you use for it's style/appearance i.e CSS or what?
> 3. Which tool will you use to make an executable of your application i.e Py2exe or what?
> 4. Which tool will you use to make an installable of your application i.e Nsis or what?
> My approach: Python --> PyGTK --> Cx_Freeze --> Nsis
> And last and important question, does your application will work smoothly and will not crash?
> If I am missing something like testing your application etc... Please mention those things too.
> I want to know a full method of creating a solid desktop application.

1. The choice of framework will depend on the target platform(s) and your personal preference. In my case I use Python 3.4 + PySide 1.2 (which uses Qt 4.8).

2. For desktop applications it is better not to do any styling yourself but to respect the user's preferences. Qt will automatically do this and I guess other toolkits might do this too.

3./4. I use cx_Freeze to produce a .msi file for Windows but which tool you use will depend on your target platform(s). cx_Freeze puts a .exe inside the .msi, so it does everything needed.

For testing I use Python's own unittest framework.

I have found this toolchain to be very reliable.