A newbie doubt on methods/functions calling

Loren Wilton myspamacct at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 7 00:20:49 EDT 2016

> Honestly, the best implementation strategy I can think of is to first
> implement a Python interpreter for the actual mainframe environment.
> Then invent an RPC layer that can semi-transparently bridge the two for
> when you want to call a module that only exists in the Windows
> environment (or call _from_ such a module back to an object/module that
> only exists in the mainframe environment), whether it's because it
> requires a Windows library or because you want the Windows python
> interpreter to do the heavy lifting because it's faster.
>
> Do you have C in the mainframe environment?

Essentially the answer is "no". There is a thing that calls itself a C
compiler, but it can only compile truely trivial programs, and then only
after a great deal of manual hacking on the source code to change the syntax
to what this compiler likes. There is no equivalent of "make".

I'd be better off starting with a Python interpreter in JaveScript or the
like, if I wanted to do a transliteration that would actually work. I'm
trying to avoid this, it would be months of work.

        Loren