A newbie doubt on methods/functions calling

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Thu Oct 6 23:50:56 EDT 2016

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016, at 19:27, Loren Wilton wrote:
> So I don't want to WRITE a Python interpreter for the actual mainframe
> environment. I want to use an interpreter for an existing environment
> (Windows) where there are already a lot of existing libraries. But
> since a lot of the data to be analyzed is on the mainframe
> environment, and the results would be wanted there too, I need to
> extend the Python data access to the mainframe environment.

Honestly, the best implementation strategy I can think of is to first
implement a Python interpreter for the actual mainframe environment.
Then invent an RPC layer that can semi-transparently bridge the two for
when you want to call a module that only exists in the Windows
environment (or call _from_ such a module back to an object/module that
only exists in the mainframe environment), whether it's because it
requires a Windows library or because you want the Windows python
interpreter to do the heavy lifting because it's faster.

Do you have C in the mainframe environment?