BeautifulSoup help !!

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Thu Oct 6 12:12:32 EDT 2016

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 02:30 am, alister wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 08:22:05 -0700, desolate.soul.me wrote:
>
>> So I've just started up with python and an assignment was given to me by
>> a company as an recruitment task.
>>
> so by your own admission you have just started with python yet you
> consider your self suitable for employment?

What's your problem Alister? Do you think that junior devs aren't allowed to
ask for help?

Desolate.Soul.Me has either applied for a job, and their interview test
is "do this task using Python", or he's been accepted in a new job, and the
same applies.

Whether it's a learning exercise, a test of skill + initiative, or actual
work given to a junior developer, Desolate.Soul.Me is perfectly entitled to
ask for help.

This isn't some artificially constrained academic homework, with stupidly
strict and hypocritical rules about so-called "plagiarism". This is the
real world where you take all the help you can get and you shouldn't feel
ashamed for asking for help. ESPECIALLY in the open source world, including
Python, where one of the community values is to share expertise.

My own employer has hired plenty of junior developers and given them
relatively minor tasks to do as a learning exercise. We're not going to
trust a junior developer with a critical piece of code, but we might say:

    "Scrape this website. Use Python. Here's the Python For Beginners
    book. Here's the Python documentation, and a few more forums where
    you can ask for help. If you get stuck, and aren't getting useful
    answers from the forums, you can ask Lisa. But not today, as she's
    busy doing a critical release and can't be disturbed."

P.S. Desolate.Soul.Me, you might be taken a bit more seriously if you give a
name, or at least a moniker or nick-name which is easier for others to
refer to you by. It doesn't have to be your birthname, or legal name. What
do your friends and workmates call you?

I don't know Beautiful Soup, so I'm afraid I can't help.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.