Assignment versus binding

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 22:55:45 EDT 2016

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 1:06:07 AM UTC+5:30, BartC wrote:
> On 05/10/2016 14:43, Rustom Mody wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 7:05:02 PM UTC+5:30, BartC wrote:
>
> >> That's the one it can't find. Actually it can't seem to import any
> >> standard libraries, so the implementation must be screwed up.
> >>
> >> Or is it because I downloaded the Minimal** rather Full version? The
> >> minimal version is already 1.7GB! Can it really be that big and yet not
> >> include such basic stuff? If so, what on earth is taking up all the
> >> space! (The full version was 10-15% bigger.)
> >>
> >> (**
> >> https://downloads.haskell.org/~platform/8.0.1/HaskellPlatform-8.0.1-minimal-x86_64-setup-a.exe)
> >
> > Minimal means only compiler: NO libraries except what the compiler needs to compile.
> > Almost certainly wrong for a beginner’s testing the waters.
> >
> > You should probably download haskell-platform (full)
>
> (I've downloaded the full version. Now I have 25,000 files in 2200MB.
> And it still doesn't work.

We are now crossing the fuzzy OT boundary! Wont persist too much
on list about this. Just a few comments:

Many noobs (to programming/Python/computers/life!) appear out here with
similar questions — it doesn’t work!!! I would guess most of them feel similar
to you. I would like to believe that most of them get out of their difficulty
with the help of more experienced responders out here.

Likewise Haskell. Go to haskell-cafe or haskell-beginners mailing-lists
and you should cross this roadblock easily enough
https://mail.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe