Is that forwards first or backwards first? (Re: unintuitive for-loop behavior)

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 23:51:37 EDT 2016

On 10/03/2016 08:21 PM, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 05:48 am, Michael Torrie wrote:
>
>> There is that old, but false, saying that the only intuitive interface
>> is the nipple.  Turns out everything, even that, is learned
>
> Citation required.

Sure, just ask a nursing woman.

> Of course many things are intuitive/instinctive, e.g. breathing, but as far
> as *interfaces* go, I'd like to see the research that proves that babies
> don't intuitively know how to suckle from a nipple.

Research? Can't you just ask women about it?  I've heard quite a few
women (with experience) comment on the learned nature of babies nursing
over the years whenever this statement would come up in such company.
Which it will when you're in with a large group of married computer nerds.

Sucking seems to be instinctive but the actual interface is learned
(albeit very quickly) by experience.  Babies don't just see a nipple and
know what it's for. If your children ever did, they are remarkable
indeed.  Anyway, it's certainly not "intuitive" if intuitive is defined
as understanding with only basic perception of an object.  Similarly an
unmarked, red button you push to give you food is not intuitive.  You
can't see the button and know what it does without experience, or
someone telling you.