Merecurial and Python-2.7.x, Python-3.Y

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Oct 2 02:34:54 EDT 2016

On 10/1/2016 5:31 AM, Michael Felt wrote:
> Finally, I got to where I understood what needed to be done to get both
> Mercurial built - and the the new SSL requirements met.
>
> So, running:
>
> # hg clone https://hg.python.org/cpython
>
> works. What is the next step to getting Python-2.7 AND Python-3.7 so I
> can submit patches against both versions and/or other versions?

What OS?

> Is it going to be a command like in the developer guide (that references
> Python3.5)?

I use TortoiseHG on Windows and love it relative to command lines.

> Does this create a new directory, or just undo a lot of things that was
> just cloned - or was 3.5 the development branch when the guide was last
> updated?
>
> Will I need to clone (as above) several times - one for each version I
> want to test against - and then run a second command -- OR --

I recommend one clone from hg.python.org and a share clone for each
branch you care about linked to the master clone.  Details in the
devguide.  But I don't know what will have to change when the repository
is switched to git and gethup, perhaps next January.

> is there an hg clone command to get a specific version (If that is in
> the guide - my apologies, as I missed it.

No.  By default, the working directory for a clone is for the default
branch.  Any clone can be 'updated' to any branch.  I have each share
clone updated to a different branch, so I never update to a different
branch.

--
Terry Jan Reedy