Web Scraping

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Sat Nov 12 09:09:32 EST 2016

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 11:07 pm, Veek M wrote:

> 121sukha wrote:
>
>> I am new to python and I want to use web scraping to download songs
>> from website. how do I write code to check if the website has uploaded
>> a new song and have that song automatically be downloaded onto my
>> computer. I know how to use the requests.get() module but i am more
>> interested in knowing how to download and save every new song that the
>> website uploads on the site. I would extremely appreciate the help
>> from anyone. Thanks!
>
> What you're doing is illegal

Really? Everywhere in the world? And you're sure of this because you're a
lawyer?

Even if the website uses public domain or freely licenced songs?

Even if the downloads count as fair use, time-shifting or format-shifting?

> but Youtube/websites have a lot of stuff up
> that's easily accessible - the moral issue seems ambiguous especially if
> you use adblocker..

Doesn't seem ambiguous to me.

Or are you one of those people who think that you are a thief for leaving
the room when ads are playing on TV?

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/02/05/02/0550214/turner-ceo-pvr-users-are-thieves

Downloading may, or may not, violate the terms of use of the website. But
you *literally* cannot watch the video without downloading it: in order for
the video to play in your browser, it must be downloaded. That's the end of
the story. "Streaming video" is just another way of saying "downloading
video, where the video is deleted afterwards".

(Actually, streaming video is just another way of saying "lots of pauses,
stuttering, dropped frames and a really awful user experience".)

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.