[Theory] How to speed up python code execution / pypy vs GPU

Mr. Wrobel mr at e-wrobel.pl
Sat Nov 5 13:10:37 EDT 2016

Hi,

Some skeptics asked my why there is a reason to use Python against of
any other "not interpreted" languages, like objective-C. As my
explanation, I have answered that there is a a lot of useful APIs,
language is modern, has advanced objective architecture, and what is the
most important - it is  dynamic and support is simply great.

However the same skeptics told my that, ok we believe that it is true,
however the code execution is much slower than any other compiled language.

I must tell you that is the reason I started to dig into internet and
searching some methods to speed up python's code.

1. What I have found is modified python interpreter - pypy  -
http://pypy.org that does not require any different approach to develop
your code.

2. And: Gpu based computing powered by Nvidia (NumbaPro compiler):
https://developer.nvidia.com/how-to-cuda-python

Do you have any experience in that areas, and maybe some benchmarks
showing advantage of using these technologies?

Cheers,
Marcin