advanced SimpleHTTPServer?

justin walters walters.justin01 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 01:38:56 EDT 2016

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 10:27 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 1:23:05 AM UTC+5:30, Eric S. Johansson
> wrote:
> > On 11/2/2016 2:40 PM, Chris Warrick wrote:
> > > Because, as the old saying goes, any sufficiently complicated Bottle
> > > or Flask app contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden,
> > > slow implementation of half of Django. (In the form of various plugins
> > > to do databases, accounts, admin panels etc.)
> >
> > That's not a special attribute of bottle, flask or Django. Ad hoc,
> > informally specified, bug ridden slow implementations abound.  We focus
> > too much on scaling up and not enough on scaling down. We (designers)
> > also have not properly addressed configuration complexity issues.
>
> This scaling up vs down idea is an important one.
> Related to Buchberger’s blackbox whitebox principle
>

> > If I'm going do something once, if it cost me more than a couple of
> > hours to figure it out, it's too expensive in general but definitely if
> > I forget what I learned. That's why bottle/flask systems meet and need.
> > They're not too expensive to forget what you learned.
> >
> > Django makes the cost of forgetting extremely expensive. I think of
> > using Django as career  rather than a toolbox.
>
> Thats snide... and probably accurate ;-)
> Among my more unpleasant programming experiences was Ruby-on-Rails
> And my impression is that Ruby is fine; Rails not
> Django I dont know and my impression is its a shade better than Rails
>
> It would be nice to discover the bottle inside the flask inside django
>
> Put differently:
> Frameworks are full-featured and horrible to use
> APIs are elegant but ultimately underpowered
> DSLs (eg requests) are in intermediate sweetspot; we need more DSL-families
> --

I work with Django every day. Knowing Django is like knowing another
ecosystem. It's totally
worth learning though. The speed of development is absolutely unbeatable. I
can build a fully featured
and good-looking blog in about 10 minutes. It's nuts.

The best part about it though, is that it's really just simple Python under
the hood for the most part. You
can override or modify any part of it to make it work in exactly the way
you want it to. I'm a huge Django fanboy,
so excuse the gushing. The docs are also some of the most comprehensive
I've ever seen.