advanced SimpleHTTPServer?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 01:27:03 EDT 2016

On Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 1:23:05 AM UTC+5:30, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> On 11/2/2016 2:40 PM, Chris Warrick wrote:
> > Because, as the old saying goes, any sufficiently complicated Bottle
> > or Flask app contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden,
> > slow implementation of half of Django. (In the form of various plugins
> > to do databases, accounts, admin panels etc.)
>
> That's not a special attribute of bottle, flask or Django. Ad hoc,
> informally specified, bug ridden slow implementations abound.  We focus
> too much on scaling up and not enough on scaling down. We (designers)
> also have not properly addressed configuration complexity issues.

This scaling up vs down idea is an important one.
Related to Buchberger’s blackbox whitebox principle

> If I'm going do something once, if it cost me more than a couple of
> hours to figure it out, it's too expensive in general but definitely if
> I forget what I learned. That's why bottle/flask systems meet and need.
> They're not too expensive to forget what you learned.
>
> Django makes the cost of forgetting extremely expensive. I think of
> using Django as career  rather than a toolbox.

Thats snide... and probably accurate ;-)
Among my more unpleasant programming experiences was Ruby-on-Rails
And my impression is that Ruby is fine; Rails not
Django I dont know and my impression is its a shade better than Rails

It would be nice to discover the bottle inside the flask inside django

Put differently:
Frameworks are full-featured and horrible to use
APIs are elegant but ultimately underpowered
DSLs (eg requests) are in intermediate sweetspot; we need more DSL-families