advanced SimpleHTTPServer?

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Wed Nov 2 12:56:25 EDT 2016

On 11/2/2016 12:15 PM, Chris Warrick wrote:
> SimpleHTTPServer is meant to be used for development and testing. It
> should not be used for anything remotely serious for security and
> speed reasons.

Given that many people are trying to use SimpleHTTPServer for
"production" should teach us that the existing http servers are overly
complex or at the least, not meeting needs when folks are scaling down
services.  for example, I've written any number of "small" webapps with
a user base of 5-10. do I need apache+cgi/uwsgi+bottle? no.  I need
something like SimpleHTTPServer only more production ready.

serious Q: what would it take to make SimpleHTTPServer more secure.  It
is currently fast enough.  when I run bottle with it's derivative of
SimpleHTTPServer, it is as fast as apache+uwsgi+bottle for 1-10 users
and much much easier to set up.

> Instead, you should use a real web server, such as nginx or apache.
> Those will do the first two properly, and the last one could be
> handled by a simple-ish PHP script. Or a full-fledged app in Django or
> Flask if you feel like it.
or bottle.  why does everyone seem to forget bottle? simple to set up,
easy to learn and useful for small to medium projects.