for / while else doesn't make sense

Christopher Reimer christopher_reimer at icloud.com
Wed May 25 08:19:01 EDT 2016

> On May 25, 2016, at 3:47 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>
> Christopher Reimer <christopher_reimer at icloud.com>:
>
>> Back in the early 1980's, I grew up on 8-bit processors and latin-1 was
>> all we had for ASCII.
>
> You really were very advanced. According to <URL:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-1#History>, ISO 8859-1 was
> standardized in 1985. "Eight-bit-cleanness" became a thing in the early
> 1990's.

Apparently, I wasn't. According to the Internet, which can't be wrong, many of the 8-bit computers in the early 1980's were based on 1960's ASCII with some non-standard characters tossed in. Latin-1 probably came during my DOS days in the 1990's.

As for ISO 8859-1, the standard was approved in 1985 but it was based on the character set for the first ANSI standard terminal, DEC VT-2200, that came out in 1983. Still early 1980's. ;)

Thank you,

Chris R.